GRAND PRIZE WINNER January 2015 2015 #DryTortugas Photo Contest
Meet Andrzej Sienko, our January 2015 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park, and he extended a big thank you to everyone who voted for his photo. Read on to learn how he captured his amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
My family and I visited the Dry Tortugas National Park on May 19th, 2014. We sailed to Fort Jefferson from Key West on the Yankee Freedom ferry. Our one-day trip was one of the most attractive parts of our Florida vacation time.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry ride was excellent. The weather was perfect. The water in the Gulf of Mexico had beautiful colors with shades of blue, green and turquoise. The crew members were like family - they were super nice and helpful, always smiling and responded to all of our questions. Also, the breakfast and lunch meals were delicious.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
I visited Fort Jefferson with my family, and the view from the top of the fort was breathtaking. We felt like birds… I took my picture before noon, and I was mesmerized by the connection of the colors of the sky, the water and the fort.
For this shot, I used a Nikon D800 with a 24-70mm f2.8 lens and polarizer filter.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
Everything from boarding the Yankee Freedom ferry to exploring Fort Jefferson to snorkeling among the coral reefs and the many different fish was worth the experience. At the Dry Tortugas, it was unforgettable for our first time there. In our minds, we will always remember the great crew of the Yankee Freedom.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
I’m very happy to win the National Park Annual Pass. I plan to use this pass to go to the Everglades National Park and the Grand Canyon National Park.