Meet Mary Lou Mortimer, our August 2016 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured this amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
We arrived by Yankee Freedom ferry. We camped 2 nights at Dry Tortugas.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry trip was wonderful! Smooth ride, beautiful weather, saw sea turtles and flying fish, and great people on board.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
Since we were camping, I got up early before the sun rose. Once it rose, it was behind clouds, but the color was beautiful. I used an iPhone 6 (sorry - no fancy gear) to capture this shot.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
Loved everything about it. The fish are amazing! The views, water, and history can't be beat! We also enjoyed kayaking while we were there.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
We are planning a trip out west to the Grand Canyon, Zion & Bryce so this will be great!!