5 Questions With The August #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Michael Manelski, our August 2015 #DryTortugas Photo Contest
winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how he captured this amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
My family and I visited the Dry Tortugas in June 2015 on a day trip via the Yankee Freedom ferry
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry trip was great. All of the staff on the Yankee Freedom were pleasant and did a wonderful job. Our voyage from Key West and back went a lot quicker than expected. There was enough sight seeing along the way and activity on board
that even the kids did not get bored. We had considered taking the seaplane but the ferry ride gave us more time at Fort Jefferson
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
When we decided to visit Fort Jefferson I knew the purchase of a GoPro was a must. It was our first time snorkeling
and the kids and I were having a blast shooting under water.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
Definitely the snorkeling. Living in Ohio, we don't get the chance to view many tropical fish unless they're in an aquarium. The underwater views and variety of fish
and plants around Fort Jefferson were amazing.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
My wife and I have been on a quest to visit as many National Parks
as possible. We had discussed heading north to Acadia in Maine but are now considering the Parks of Utah (Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, etc.)