5 Questions With The November 2021 #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Kyle Filicky, our November 2021 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how he captured his amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry, or another way?
I visited the Dry Tortugas National Park on October 17, 2021 via the Yankee Freedom ferry.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
Due to gusty winds, our ride was rough throughout the journey. However, the entire staff was great and took care of everyone aboard in an appropriate and safe manner.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear? I tried to capture the essence of the Dry Tortugas, which in my opinion is Fort Jefferson and the water that surrounds it. I used a GoPro10.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable? I traveled there with my fiance, best friend, and his wife. This was the first national park that we got to experience together. Also, I work as a botanist for Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc. located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When I travel to new places, I look for rare, threatened, and endangered plants. I was able to locate and see the Florida Endangered Sea Lavender (Heliotropium gnaphalodes).
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? I plan on traveling to Hawaii with my fiance to see the national parks and historical sites on the various islands.