Meet Jody Hildreth, our May 2015 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how he captured his amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The trip out to the Dry Tortugas was very good. The food was great, the weather perfect and I managed to spot a few sea turtles on the crossing.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
I captured the sunset photo our first night while standing on the ramparts. I used a Canon 7D Mark ii camera with a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
The highlight of our trip was the kayak trip over to Loggerhead Key. While there, we snorkeled the Little Africa reef and saw an amazing array of colorful fish. We also enjoyed the beginnings of the bird migration with many warblers and a surprising Burrowing Owl on Garden Key, all providing wonderful photo opportunities.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
We have been buying a National Park Annual Pass for years now, and our just expired so this is perfect timing! We are already planning on visiting Acadia National Park this summer and it is my dream to make it to Glacier National Park.