Meet Heather O'Shaughnessy, our January 2017 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured her amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
We visited the Dry Tortugas National Park for my son Heath's Spring Break in April 2016. We came over on the Yankee Freedom ferry.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
We loved the ferry trip! Although Heath slept a bit early on, we had a blast listening to the videos and getting excited for our day once he woke up. On the way back, we spent our time outside, enjoying the beautiful waters, trying to spot sea turtles (which we did!), watching for flying fish, and spying many different fish in the crystal clear and calm waters that day!
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
Heath and I were snorkeling around the fort when I snapped a few shots of him with my GoPro Hero 4 Black. I used my KNEKT KSD6 Dome & GP4 Trigger combo to get that awesome over/under angle.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
Everything about the day was memorable! Spending time in such a beautiful place with my little man, sharing my love for the ocean and wildlife with him, climbing and exploring the fort, feeling the history, it was truly awesome. Really though, it is the best to be able to spend time and share my enthusiasm with Heath. It warms my heart to see him so excited about nature, soaking up every bit that he can!
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
Although we visit the Keys often, we live in Georgia. I hope to bring Heath to some of our parks we have up here, maybe head down to Cumberland Island, or up to Kennesaw Mountain - get a different view of the beauty of our planet. Who knows! Maybe we will be able to make it back down to the Dry Tortugas!