5 Questions With The June #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Alejandro Nasio, our June 2017 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how he captured his amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
We took the Yankee Freedom ferry and camped for 2 days.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The trip was very enjoyable, the seas were calm, and we enjoyed watching the horizon.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
I was trying to frame a good picture of Bush Key from the top of the Fort and all of a sudden this frigate enters the frame and I snapped! I was using a Canon 40D with a 17-55 IS zoom lens. Ten-year-old camera still takes very nice pictures!
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
I loved the tranquility of the place. Compared to other very-crowded National Parks, this place is quiet and feels like it's there for just a few lucky ones. When the ferry left, we were the only ones left aside from the park rangers. The sensation was unique... we were used to camping in the middle of nowhere, but being in the middle of the ocean alone was an unforgettable experience.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
I would love to go to Utah and re-visit one my favorites, Zion (and Bryce that is also amazing and is next to it), but we are expecting a baby so I don't know... it's our first so we are not sure of what we can do. We may may visit the Everglades a few times since it's close.