Meet Kristof Torok, our April 2018 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask him a few questions about his experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how he captured his amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
I visited the Dry Tortugas back in early January of 2018 with my family while exploring the Florida Keys. We traveled with the Yankee Freedom Ferry.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
My experience on the Yankee Freedom was amazing! The crew was extremely caring, and our guide Hollywood kept us entertained throughout the journey to the Dry Tortugas. The trip was also enjoyable as the weather was perfect!
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
I was exploring Fort Jefferson and climbed to the top with the goal to capture the view. However, I found this egret next to me, so I used my 300mm zoom lens to slowly and quietly took the shot. I have always been fascinated with wildlife, and the Dry Tortugas is the perfect place for anyone who loves to explore hidden gems in nature!
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
My family has been to many of the major National Parks across the country, but the Dry Tortugas is different as it was nothing like what we have experienced before. The idea that something so fascinating and beautiful was so hidden and far away from the mainland is mind-boggling and incredible! It was just an overall great trip from both seeing the beautiful island as well as learning the history of Fort Jefferson and how it came to be.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
I plan to go the Boston Harbor Islands, the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone in the future. But I will definitely come back to the Dry Tortugas as well, maybe even doing some camping!