5 Questions With The January #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Patti Paul, our January 2023 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured her amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry, or another way?
We visited Dry Tortugas on December 5th, 2022. We took the Yankee Freedom ferry.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry was clean and on time. The entire crew was helpful and friendly.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear? The photo was taken using an iPhone 13. The repetition of the arches was captivating. It is both visually interesting and makes you think about the amount of effort it took to construct.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable? In 2021 we visited Key West. We took the Old Town Trolley and it brought us to the Dry Tortugas Interpretive Center. We saw the model of the Fort and decided to visit the island the next time we returned. I was thinking about the island over the past year and read the book Flashback by Nevada Barr which is set in Dry Tortugas. Being able to visit in 2022 brought my reading experience to life. My favorite part of the day was the guided tour.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? I already have a lifetime pass for the National Parks so I will gift this to my daughter in law, who has been so helpful getting my picture on her Instagram and entering the contest.