5 Questions With The February #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Monica Hermann, our February 2023 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured her amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry, or another way?
I have visited twice! Both by the Yankee Freedom Ferry for the day trip. My first time there was in April 2019 and then I went back again in August 2020.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry trip was great both times! Loved that food and drinks were provided as well as the happy hour on the way back. Really smooth ride and enjoyed the views along the way. Liked the option to be inside in the shade/AC or outside on the deck in the sunshine.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear? I captured my winning photo by venturing to the top of the fort. It’s truly an exquisite view from up there looking across to Loggerhead Key. I wanted to remember that moment in time forever. It’s just so calming and serene to be completely surrounded by that turquoise water. I don’t actually have any fancy camera gear, this photo was just captured with my cell phone!
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable? Being able to soak in the beauty of everything on the island – the water, the wildlife, how quiet it was when you closed your eyes to just listen. I am hoping to go back in the near future to camp. It’s truly one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? I plan to visit the Everglades and Biscayne since they are right here within driving distance (I live in Tampa). I’ve been to both before but I love a good excuse to go visit them again as it’s been a number of years since I’ve gone. I’m hopeful to make it to the Grand Canyon this summer during a trip to Vegas too, I’ve never been and know I would absolutely love to see it!