5 Questions With The August #DryTortugas Photo Contest Winner
Meet Kristin Hiser, our August 2022 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured her amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry, or another way?
I camped on Dry Tortugas from June 28-July 1st, I arrived on the Yankee Freedom.
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
It was good! I really enjoyed the drinks! On the way back I got a little motion-sick but overall it was a great experience!
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear? The picture was just taken with my phone! I just loved the sunset that night and knew it would look good with a silhouette in the background.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable? There were a few things that stick out: one was kayaking to Loggerhead, that was awesome. The other is that there was a youth camp there 2 of the same nights as me. On one of the nights they were night fishing and caught a shark. The leader of the group ran down to the group area and yelled for all of us to come watch them bring it in and let us take pictures. Also, I was there a few nights with people I sort of knew in real life, but it wasn’t planned to be there the same time. It was nice to hang out and get to know them.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? I will make GREAT use of this National Park Pass! My last one expired on July 31st so this worked out perfectly. My next big trip will be to Olympic National Park in Washington, and Haleakala in Maui. I also live close to Shenandoah and go 6-8 times a year so that alone makes the pass worth it.