Meet Janine Carey, our December 2016 #DryTortugas Photo Contest winner. We had the chance to ask her a few questions about her experience at the Dry Tortugas National Park. Read on to learn how she captured her amazing photo!
1. When did you visit the Dry Tortugas National Park? Did you arrive by seaplane, the Yankee Freedom ferry or another way?
I visited on November 18th, 2016, arriving by the Yankee Freedom. This was my very first visit!
2. If you arrived by the Yankee Freedom, how was your ferry trip?
The ferry trip was great! Although, it was rough on the way back, the crew was wonderful and very accommodating.
3. How did you capture your winning photo? What inspired you to take it? Did you use any cool camera gear?
I was just taking a leisurely walk along the beach, taking in the beautiful views. I used my iPhone 6s to capture my photo. I'm not a professional by any means, but I'm learning to appreciate different viewpoints. Getting down to ground level is something I've been experimenting with recently.
4. What made your trip to the Dry Tortugas memorable?
What made it memorable was that it was my first solo trip. To be able to explore at my own pace gave me a lot of opportunity to really enjoy my surroundings.
5. What do you plan to do with your National Park Annual Pass? Which national park would you like to visit next?
I definitely plan on taking a lot of road trips, really putting my annual pass to good use and exploring as many national parks as I can. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Kentucky in April and hopefully we'll find some great parks along the way! Yellowstone is also on the list this year!